Understanding Unrelated Donor Search
Only 30% of patients will have a sibling who matches and is able to donate. The other 70%, or approximately 10,000 people per year, need an unrelated donor to donate their healthy marrow or to use a previously donated umbilical cord blood unit. The Be The Match Registry® can be searched for those patients who do not have a related donor. We offer two options for search:
Preliminary Search: When a patient requires a transplant from an unrelated donor, a physician can request a free preliminary search of our Be The Match Registry to determine if there are potential matches. This search returns a snapshot of potential matched unrelated donors and umbilical cord blood units (CBUs).
Formal Search: To verify that potential donors or cord blood units match the patient, transplant center physicians in our network can initiate a formal search to request further testing of potential donors or CBUs listed on our registry. A formal search includes a one-time activation fee plus additional costs for outreach and lab tests of potential donors and/or CBUs.
Donor Management and HLA Typing: Our donor centers contact potential donors, set up appointments, and perform high-resolution HLA testing, health history screening, infectious disease testing and collect samples for use by transplant centers. Costs vary because of the number of donors that need to be tested to find an actual match.
Cell Procurement/Infusion: The cost of procuring unrelated donor cells varies greatly depending on the cell type and transplant protocol. These costs may be as low as $30,000 or higher than $60,000 in cases where a patient requires two simultaneous infusions of cells, such as a double cord blood transplant.
Costs also vary based on the location of the donor or cord blood unit that is the best match for the patient. We work with a number of registries across the world to have access to international donors. Each registry sets its own price for donor products. Cord blood unit prices vary by cord blood bank, as each sets its own fees.
Blood and marrow transplant (BMT) has become a standard of care for many blood cancer and genetic diseases as well as a newer treatment option for others. For many patients, BMT represents the best or only option for a cure. Timely transplant has led
to significantly improved outcomes, so patients who need a transplant also need appropriate coverage in place to ensure there are not delays to treatment. Learn about key aspects of transplant and the benefits that will support patients through the
- Transplant Indications and Outcomes
- Understanding Unrelated Donor Search
- Benefit Design for HCT
- HCT Cost and Coverage